7 great challenges freshers face in corporate world
Sarvesh cautiously smoothens his tie, checks on the polish of his shoes and looks at his clean shaven frame in the rear mirror of his bike.
Heading towards the pointer marking reception, he looks at in awe over the plush interiors and a suave front office executive at the reception desk.
Juggling a complex communications system with multitude of red and green buttons she asks, Yes Sir, May I help you?
Smartly Sarvesh hands over the offer letter issued to him by the company and in deep throated voice says “I have come to join after my campus recruitment drive, this is my offer letter”.
“Welcome aboard” said the receptionist and quickly directed him to the conference Room.
Sarvesh found himself surrounded by 10 more newly offered candidates.
Entry level hiring was a thorough process with the Organisation
Sitting and talking to them before the company senior executives walked in gave him a very different perspective, each one had done some spade work and had information on MD, staff, employees, salary brackets, appraisal process and rigorous inductions and orientations.
Though lucky to have done well in online assessments platforms, Group discussions and Formal interview and receiving a dream offer especially as a Fresher, over the period Sarvesh spent in the Company he realized he has long way to go!
Though immense opportunities or jobs for Freshers exist, some constraints he felt in transition from Campus to Corporate were :
- Bubble burst – From cushioned and secure world all of a sudden jolted to a reality of numbers, tasks, targets processes and protocol.
- Identity crisis can be quite predominant especially over role and position and actual delivery, one needs to quickly learn and take reins.
- Networking takes over entirely new dimensions. Seeking out and reaching out to unknown co-workers/colleagues is not that easy, skipping a meeting or backing out of conversation being unthinkable, giving opinions on issues being discussed considered as naïve or rude. Unsure about whether leaving office at/after office hours requires permission.
- Gap of what has been taught versus what actually one can learn from live projects / situations is real time experience. From being skilled to being proficient and experienced was a BIG LEAP which Sarvesh hopes to cover well!
- What goes well in College Canteen can land you in trouble. Gossip! Remarks! Criticism! Be wary of what you say… Talent is not the only thing, your behavior, attitude and soft skills speak louder than the PPT’s made. Even in arguments a strong control over language is required. Welcome to the world of corporate etiquettes.
- Succumb to Impress with knowledge, long hours, overtime becomes an unsaid thumb rule which takes its toll and leading to burnout long before you start blooming.
- Teamwork is tricky! Group projects in colleges are no way closer to what teamwork in workplace is. Contributing one’s bit completely however not being too bossy or enforcing others to conform. Quite a tightrope walk!
However, Challenges make life worth living. In spite of the challenges that freshers face in the corporate world, there are always new things to learn and new areas to explore. It is surely an enriching experience and worth every step in making you become a better person.
Look at these challenges as opportunities and you may end up climbing the corporate ladder at a marvelous speed, was what Sarvesh’s concluding remarks were to his juniors in pre-placement talk in his college exactly a year later!
"HireMee has been a great experience for our students and the college. HireMee helped us understand where our students stand and showed us areas where they needed additional training. From the demo session to the exam, your team has been a tremendous support to us."
Ramakrishnan & Naveen Kumar,
Placement Officer, Salem College of Engineering and Technology
The selection process of your company looks unique. It is automated, lean and agile. From the PO's perspective, it ensures that every data is uploaded by the student and ensures its accuracy. From the student's perspective, the experience is seamless as he can upload data from anywhere.
Training & Placement Officer, Nandha Educational Institutions, Erode
The HireMee platform gave us an opportunity to showcase our talents which in turn resulted in getting placed in our dream company. The job assessment test was very useful to us. It helped us to reach our job goals. The assessment platform is innovative and allowed us to upload 20-second video resumes.
Final Year CSE, Sir C R Reddy College of Engineering
I got selected for Vee Technologies through the HireMee Platform. I would like to thank you for such a platform which tests all the skills needed by recruiters. The HireMee app is more like a social network with a lot of interesting features which makes the job search easier.
First Year CSE, Sir C R Reddy College of Engineering
Hiremee is a good platform for freshers seeking placement in reputed companies. The Hiremee platform has such an environment with more than 30 companies. The assessments tests the subject knowledge and mathematical knowledge of the candidate. The subject related questions are simple and logical. There is also a phase where they test our positive attitude.